"Parents must bring light and truth into their homes by one family prayer, one scripture study session, one family home evening, one book read aloud, one song, and one family meal at a time. They know that the influence of righteous, conscientious, persistent, daily parenting is among the most powerful and sustaining forces for good in the world. The health of any society, the happiness of its people, their prosperity, and their peace all find common roots in the teaching of children in the home." - Elder L. Tom Perry

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Goldfield Ghost Town

One of our first adventures was visiting this awesome Ghost Town. In a span of 12 years, 4 million dollars in gold was mined here. Later it was deserted, but everything has been preserved. It felt like a trip back into the 1800s. They had an area setup to teach you how to pan for gold. It was A LOT more complicated than I thought...luckily James did all the work :)
We all went on a train ride around the town and listened to a really "interesting" old man tell all the history. I got the kids all excited to be on their first train ride and then we only went maybe 2 mph around the entire town. Needless to say, the kids got bored. Luckily I had snacks in my purse that kept them out of trouble.
Isabelle was in charge of pictures for a bit; of course she had to take a picture of Rupert. I fear the day that this dog completely falls apart. I've already had to sew his tummy and he's only a couple years old.
We had lunch and then ice cream for dessert. Isabelle had bubblegum (totally what I would have picked) and I got Hyrum chocolate chip cookie dough (James' favorite). The kids were so well behaved and it was just a fun adventure for our family!

1 comment:

Rebecca Hansen said...

that sounds like such a fun day! I LOVE old ghost towns, that one looks so cool! I'm super jealous you got to see it. Sorry the train ride was a bit boring, haha. I'm sure Rupert had a good time as well : )